| Life is the art of drawing without an eraser |

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Playing with text...



When first assigned this project I was so overwhelmed and had no idea what to do because I love using text in Photoshop so there were so many different techniques that I wanted to try so I just could not make a decision! I had really liked the idea of using text to compose a portrait, but I initially thought that we had to do something that included the Bible, but I was mistaken so that was a huge relief and made things much easier! I proceeded to stick with a portrait, but then I faced the decision as to what portrait to use. I could have done a generic face, but then I feel that the text would not be as effective so I wanted to chose a significant figure who had a lot of writings and insightful words. I had recently seen the movie "Invictus" which is the story of Nelson Mandela, therefore I proceeded to use his portrait composed of inspirational words that he had said in his famous quotes or words that define him as a successful leader. Once I got my idea down pat I then made individual brushes for approximately 15 words. Then, I used the magic wand to select various areas and then in those areas I placed the various brushes that I had made in a variety of sizes, which proved to be very time consuming. I used this method for the remainder of the portrait until I felt that the portrait was recognizable as Nelson Mandela. This is just one of the methods of using text to compose a portrait so next time I will try something else...I want to try to make another portrait that is composed of text that follows a path to outline the facial features which will take much more time than this one already did.

No comments:

Post a Comment